So far, setting up the WP site has been pretty cool. The install was quick, and the learning curve for WP small. Plus the satisfaction of going from (nearly) zero to live in a couple days has been great.
- A couple things stand out as issues as a designer/developer.
- Using someone else’s code, no matter how good will only work for so long – I plan to factor as much as I can before the end of the year. I
- have not found an acceptable way to build locally and then deploy – MAMP has potential but we will see.
- The caching plugins freaked me out a couple times (develop with them off).
- And finally understanding DBs and in my case, MediaTemple.net is key. I blew away the wrong DB in an attempt to clean up things internally. That was a mistake.
A final note is that I seem to be having almost daily (likely more, I am not looking at the site enough to know) DB connection errors. I am not sure what the issue is. MediaTemple is looking into this, but if it keeps up, I will likely be looking for a new home. Suggestions welcome.